The standing rigging on a yacht is only as secure as the pins, rings and nuts that hold all the wire and mast fittings together.
A Skipper's Pre-Sail Safety Check should include an inspection of all these small but important parts of a yacht's rigging.
Clevis pins should be:
- The correct diameter for the eye (hole) in the connecting fitting - this means the maximum diameter that will just fit so that the load is spread over all the available bearing surface
- The correct length so that there is no lateral movement and less chance of snagging
Clevis Rings should be:
Nuts should not be loose
- The correct size for the hole in the pin.
- In heir design form so that when fitted they secure the pins in place.
- In good shape so that they can be positioned and taped to avoid any snagging issues.
Spare Pins, Rings and Nuts are an essential part of a yacht's safety kit inventory, providing the means to repair and adapt sailboat rigging at sea
Pins, Rings and Nuts are available from Jimmy Green Marine in marine grade stainless steel from top UK manufacturers Petersen and Sta-Lok for peace of mind.