Anchor Warps can be subdivided into 3 main types by application: Main or Bower, Secondary and Kedge. The main anchor rode system may be all chain or a chain/rope combination but a long length of suitable anchoring rope with a short piece of chain for the anchor end is much more convenient to store and deploy for additional warps that are not stowed for’d in the chain locker.
The secondary anchor rode should be comparable in strength to the bower if it is considered a genuine cruising back up.
Kedge covers a multitude of different uses including lunching, kedging, club hauling and anything that involves deployment via the dinghy. Kedge warps can be one or two sizes down in diameter from your main warp.
Similar Anchoring Rope properties are required for Anchor Snubbers, Mooring Strops, Mooring Bridles, Towing Warps, Para Anchor and Yacht Drogue Bridles and Warps.
The main requirements for all these applications are good strength without being over-sized and difficult to handle and good shock absorption.
Nylon is generally the solution because it is stronger and has more elongation (elasticity, stretch) than polyester. Nylon has 20% stretch at the breaking point, whereas polyester has 15%. However, polyester has excellent all-round properties which may hold sway. Additional snubbing methods can then be employed when required.
The main decision to make is between a 3 Strand twisted construction or an 8 (Octo) Plait construction such as Anchorplait.
The quality of the splicing is very important to the integrity of the rode.
The next decision to make is whether you want the warp and chain as a continuous spliced entity or as two separate connectable parts.
- Splice a heart shaped thimble (nylon, galvanised or stainless steel) into the anchor end of the warp and connect to a short length of chain with a suitable rated shackle.
- Splice the rope directly onto the chain – For these options go to: Anchor Warps Spliced to Chain
The custom build design of our rope products allows you to select the appropriate splice for the anchor end and also a suitable finish for the bitter end if required. You can also add anti chafe options.
Jimmy Green Marine offer a choice of 4 different LIROS ropes for Anchor Warps.
Selection Process for your Main Anchor Warp:
1. Select the appropriate sizing for your yacht:
- Find the column in the table below that best represents your Boat Length Overall.
- Compare your displacement with the tonnage listed.
- If the displacement is greater than displayed in your column in the table, or your yacht is a multihull, consider moving across to the next column to increase the diameter.
- Consider the worst case scenario for your anticipated Anchoring - this will dictate whether you go for the minimum required or the 'belt and braces' approach
Benchmark Guide for determining the size of your Main Anchor Rode
|Yacht Length Overall
||< 6 metres
|Approximate length in feet
|Displacement in tonnes
2. Select the Anchor Rope (sub category) that best suits your requirements.
Select from these 4 main rope options for all the applications mentioned on this page:
LIROS Anchorplait White Nylon Article 01058JG is manufactured EXCLUSIVELY by LIROS Ropes with Easy Splice Markers for Jimmy Green Marine. The 8 strand construction [2 pairs left hand, 2 pairs right hand] gives a balanced performance and no twist under tension. Anchorplait is the rope that won't cockle. In fact, it flakes like chain.
- Ideal for use as anchor warp as it will stay supple for the duration of its working life
- square braid construction
- non kinking
- balanced braiding
- spliceable to chain
- dependable strength
- excellent durability
- UV and abrasion resistant
- Excellent Shock Absorbing Elongation >20% working load stretch.
LIROS specify their manufacturer minimum break loads in Deka newtons = DaN DaN = Deka newtons 1 Deka newton DaN actually = 1.01971621297793 (approximately 1.02) kg 01058 / 01058JG - 1000 = 2600 daN 01058 / 01058JG - 1200 = 3400 daN 01058 / 01058JG - 1400 = 4500 daN 01058 / 01058JG - 1600 = 5900 daN 01058 / 01058JG - 1800 = 7200 daN 01058 / 01058JG - 2000 = 8200 daN 01058 - 2400 = 11800daN
LIROS Break Load converted to Kg from DaN at 1:1.02 = 10mm 2652kg ~ 12mm 3468kg ~ 14mm 4590kg ~ 16mm ~ 6018kg ~ 18mm 7344kg - 20mm 8364kg ~ 24mm 12036kg
LIROS Break Load: 10mm 2400kg ~ 12mm 3300kg ~ 14mm 4400kg ~ 16mm ~ 5600kg ~ 18mm 7000kg - 20mm 8140kg ~ 24mm 11800kg ~ 28mm 15000kg ~ 32mm 20000kg
LIROS 3 Strand Nylon Article 00110 - 100% Nylon (Polyamide) manufactured to DIN EN ISO 1140 Standard (previously DIN EN 696, DIN 83330) - Heat set twisted lay construction offers the same strength and stretch properties as the 8 strand, Octoplait version, is less expensive but suffers a little from stiffness once used in water, especially in the bigger sizes - good UV stability, excellent wear abrasion resistance Overall, a good anchor warp that will run smoothly over a rope/chain gypsy. LIROS Break Load: 10mm 2400kg ~ 12mm 3300kg ~ 14mm 4400kg ~ 16mm ~ 5600kg ~ 18mm 7000kg - 20mm 8140kg ~ 24mm 11800kg ~ 30mm 17400kg
LIROS Octoplait Polyester Article 01049 - 8 Strand, Balanced, Square Braid Construction, 100% Polyester - super pliable, spliceable to chain, Reliable load capacity and abrasion resilience combined with excellent constructional shock absorption >15% working load stretch LIROS Break Load: 10mm 2000kg ~ 12mm 2400kg ~ 14mm 3800kg ~ 16mm ~ 4700kg ~ 18mm 5800kg - 20mm 7600kg ~ 24mm 11600kg
LIROS 3 Strand Polyester Article 00111/01110 - manufactured to DIN EN ISO 1141 standard (previously DIN EN 697, DIN 83331) Heat set twisted lay construction, dependable strength, excellent durability, UV weathering and abrasion resistance >15% working load stretch Overall, a more supple but slightly less tretchy alternative to 3 Strand Nylon that will run smoothly over a rope/chain gypsy. LIROS Break Load: 10mm 2000kg ~ 12mm 2600kg ~ 14mm 3600kg ~ 16mm ~ 5000kg ~ 18mm 6000kg - 20mm 7000kg ~ 24mm 10500kg ~ 30mm 14800kg
3. Select the combination (product) you prefer
4. Build your rode, selecting the length of rope, the type of splice required for the end that is going to connect to the chain, select the finish for the bitter end - Get an an instant quote.