The Isle of Man triskelion emblem is embroidered onto the red fabric on both sides
Triple hem stitching
Manufactured in the UK
The best quality rich colour fabric
MoD 155 gram m2 woven polyester
Braided polyester hoist
Isle of Man Premium Sewn Red Ensigns
These are Premium Sewn Red Ensigns with the Union Jack part in the top corner next to the hoist and the Isle of Man three-legged symbol (Triskelion) embroidered on both sides in the red part.
Top Quality MoD heavyweight woven 100% polyester, triple hemmed, varnished wooden toggle, polyester hoist line.
Manufactured in the UK
Sizes 1 1/2 Yard, 2 Yard and 2 1/2 Yard
Premium Sewn Isle of Man Red Ensigns, Facts, Features and Plus Factors:
- Component panels cut out from top-quality fabric
- MoD heavyweight woven 100% polyester bunting
- Isle of Man triskelion emblem embroidered (appliqued) onto the red fabric on both sides
- UV resistant
- Rich colours
- Colourfast and fade resistant
- All panels are stitched together to form the full ensign pattern
- Finished with triple stitched hems (outside edges)
- Varnished toggle
- Hoist reinforced with special flag webbing tape
- Braided Polyester line sewn into the integral hoist tape, creating a loop for the toggle fitted at the top and a tail at the bottom as per the photos
- UK manufacture
The yard sizing (traditional diagonal measurement) is nominal and may vary slightly due to the nature of the production/sewing process.
Nominal length and height measurements are tabled in the guide below.
Premium ensigns are cut by hand and sewn together on manually operated sewing machines, so the sizes and proportions can vary slightly according to the production batch.
Where when to fly your ensign
A UKUK-registered vessel should fly the national maritime flag, the Red Ensign, unless entitled to fly a special or privileged Ensign.
The most senior position for a flag on a vessel is reserved for the Ensign - this should be flown from as close to the stern of the vessel as possible and denotes the nationality of the vessel.
Selecting the appropriate size for your Ensign:
- The Yard Size refers to the outside diagonal measurement, e.g. from the top corner of the hoist to the bottom corner of the fly end.
- The fly is measured along the horizontal length, top or bottom
- The hoist is measured down the vertical length of the left-hand side next to the staff.
- The Fly end is the opposite end to the hoist = the end that flies in the breeze
As a guide, your Ensign should be proportionate to the LOA and the style/design of the yacht.
An old rule of thumb is an inch per foot of yacht length, but this may look too small for modern yachts to look "well dressed."
The Ensign hoist measurement also needs to be compatible with the length of the flagstaff.
i.e. The length of the flagstaff between the truck (head) and the cleat must be, at the very least, greater than the hoist measurement so that there is sufficient room to tension the hoist line or halyard
The gap between the bottom of the hoist and the cleat is a personal choice.
A more modern interpretation of suitable Red Ensign yard size is suggested in the chart below, but...
Ultimately, the size of a Red Ensign is entirely up to the owner's discretion, and if it looks right, then it is right
|Yard Size||Finish||Fly||Hoist||Staff Length||Yacht LOA|
|2 1/2||Sewn||225cm||110cm||> 1.5 metres||18m-20m|
|3||Sewn||274cm||137cm||> 2 metres||>20m|
Yard Size = traditional method of measurement = length of the diagonal
Finish = Sewn = individual panels stitched together to complete the flag
Fly = nominal length - this may vary slightly due to the nature of the production/sewing process
Hoist = nominal height - this may vary slightly due to the nature of the production/sewing process
Staff Length = the length overall of the flagstaff, not the measurement between truck and cleat, which will be less
LOA = Yacht length overall
- Flag Size - 2 Yard
- Flag Size - 2 1/2 Yard
- Flag Size - 3 Yard
- Flag Size - 1/2 Yard
- Flag Size - 3/4 Yard
- Flag Size - 1 Yard
- Flag Size - 1 1/4 Yard
- Flag Size - 1 1/2 Yard