Anchor Chain Snubbing Strop - Custom Build Instructions
The Jimmy Green Rigging Sales Team are happy to advise you on any apect of getting a quote and ordering your custom build anchor chain snubbing strop.
Start your custom build by making your choice of chain hook/grab and progress to the other end of the snubbing line, making sure that you select a splice to connect the hook to the line.
Follow the Jimmy Green Custom Build process to get an instant quote and complete the order yourself.
- Option 1 - Select a chain hook
- Option 2 - Select a splice to attach the hook - this is a required field - not making a selection will result in a basic heat gun cut - see notes on whether a stainless steel thimble will fit
- Option 3 - Pick a rope, and enter your finished length. This will be the length from bearing edge to bearing edge
- Option 4 - Choose an anti-chafe option, if you would like it sleeved on
- Option 5 - Choose a compensator option, if you would like one reeved on
- Option 6 - Select a finish for the other end of your line - not making a selection will result in a basic heat gun cut
Once you have made a selection in all the drop down boxes available, the website will generate:
- a picture version of what you have chosen
- an overall length
- a price including VAT, or excluding VAT if you are signed in with an export delivery address
Jimmy Green Custom Build Chain Snubbing Advisory
The website will accept a length to 3 decimal points. However, this is not normally necessary for a snubbing line.
A length to the nearest metre (or half metre) will generally be sufficient for a chain snubber.
Jimmy Green Rigging Team Finished Length Advisory
The website will accept a length to 3 decimal points. However, this is not usually practicable.
For short strops and bridles with a splice at both ends, the Jimmy Green Rigging Team aim for a bearing edge to bearing edge measurement accurate to within 1%.
The finished length is checked in the measuring trough while the strop is pulled out straight, but not stretched tight with excessive force.
All ropes stretch to some extent under low load. Mooring and Anchoring ropes stretch more than most.
Therefore, although we aim for an accuracy of plus or minus 1%, Jimmy Green Marine can only accept responsibility for the finished length of a strop spliced at both ends to within a tolerance of plus or minus 100mm.
If you have chosen to add a compensator, the Rigging Team will reeve it onto the line before completing the second splice, but the achievable accuracy of the finished length is further diminished.
Jimmy Green Rigging Team Whipping Advisory
If you don't need a splice for the end attaching to the deck, a whipping is advisable to prevent the end from unravelling and to maintain the integrity of the rope construction.
We offer a heat sealing option which melts and moulds the end of the rope, and the additional option of a heat shrink band to keep the end of the line bound together.
However, these are only temporary solutions, and a proper whipping is always recommended to guarantee the integrity of the line.
Of course, we understand that you may wish to apply the finishing touch yourself, and we sell all the Fids, Tools and Whipping Twines to add to your onboard service kit.
The Next Custom Build Steps:
- Check the item is designed as you wish - You can change any of your options and the website will update the picture and the price.
- Add any notes in the editable box provided, if required
- Check the quantity that you want to purchase and click the green Add to Basket button to put it in your shopping basket.
- Select Continue Shopping or Proceed to Checkout.
- To view the items you have selected, go to your basket or direct to checkout.
Additional Notes for your Custom Build
You can add a note for your own benefit or to advise the Rigging Team of a specific requirement.
This note will appear in the product description in your basket
- Add a name for identifying your selection
- Splice on a fitting that is not in the custom build drop down menu
- Request a different loop length
Jimmy Green Additional Fitting Advisory
When a fitting is requested from outside the custom build process, it will be assumed that the finished length is measured to the bearing edge of the additional fitting(s)
In other words, the finished length will include any shackles, hooks or fittings.
The same principle applies to special requests for different lengths of loop.
The Jimmy Green Rigging Team Finished Length Process for Chain Snubbing Strops
- Splice one end to the chain hook
- Secure the hook to the bearing edge pin on the splicing bench
- Lay the the rope out straight against the fixed tape measure
- Calculate and mark the turning point for the splice at the other end of the rope
- Estimate the extra length required to complete the splice and cut accordingly
- Complete the second splice
- Check the finished length against your order
Jimmy Green Rigging Team Quality Control
The Jimmy Green Rigging Team undertake to check your rope meticulously during the production process to ensure that it is 100% First Quality.
The Jimmy Green Despatch Team make a second thorough quality inspection of each item, including a careful check that it matches your order, before packing it into your parcel.
Additional Information on Measurement
The finished length is measured from the bearing edge to the bearing edge = the inside face of a loop/thimble/fitting where the chain hook would take the load and therefore NOT the overall outside length.
The splicing price includes the extra rope required to make the splice and meet the overall finished length.
Please refer to the 'Finished Length Advisory' for the achievable parameters.
Please take extra care when ordering because once a bespoke item has been started (cut) it can neither be cancelled nor returned for a refund.