Ideal for swinging mooring applications
Produced to order
Spliced and finished to order by the Jimmy Green Rigging Team
LIROS Octoplait Nylon Mooring Strops are available to purchase in set lengths, spliced to order by the Jimmy Green Rigging Team
The finish includes:
Galvanised or stainless steel teardrop thimble eye splice option
30cm soft loop splice.
1 metre of PVC reinforced hose.
2 or 3 metre finished length options.
LIROS Octoplait Nylon features:
- 100% Nylon (Polyamide)
- Square braid 8 strand construction
- High strength and abrasion resistance
- 2 pairs left hand, 2 pairs right hand laid gives a balanced performance and no twist under tension.
- Octoplait is the rope that won't cockle.
- non kinking
- balanced braiding
- spliceable to chain
- dependable strength
- excellent durability
- UV and abrasion resistant
- Retains flexibility throughout working life
Excellent Shock Absorbing Elongation >20% working load stretch.
LIROS Break Load: 10mm 2400kg ~ 12mm 3300kg ~ 14mm 4400kg ~ 16mm ~ 5600kg ~ 18mm 7000kg - 20mm 8140kg ~ 24mm 11800kg ~ 28mm 15000kg ~ 32mm 20000kg
The 8 strand construction (2 pairs left hand, 2 pairs right hand) gives a balanced performance and no twist under tension.
LIROS Octoplait/Anchorplait is the optimum solution for single moorings:
- The rope construction precludes the possibility of cockling (unravelling)
- The splice design is very secure and will not unravel
Use only LIROS Octoplait/Anchorplait for swinging moorings because the 8 strand construction will not cockle.
Cockling occurs when a fixed 3 strand construction warp is forced to rotate against the direction of the twisted lay, opening up the strands until they distort into 'ears'
This will eventually be the case if a yacht continually swings around it's mooring 'the wrong way'.
The construction of Octoplait/Anchorplait Nylon ensures that both the rope and and the professional finish will maintain their integrity when subjected to continual swinging through 360 degrees in the tide.
Selection process for a mooring strop on a swinging mooring:
- Find the column in the table below that best represents your Boat Length Overall.
- Compare your displacement with the tonnage listed.
- If it is greater than displayed in your column in the table, consider moving across to the next column to increase the diameter.
- Take advice on local conditions and check the benchmark size from the table below against other similar sized boats moored in your area.
- Have a good look at the mooring configurations on neighbouring yachts with a critical eye and judge whether your set up should be the same.
- Consider whether you can make any improvements in terms of mooring convenience and anti chafe measures.
Permanent Mooring Warps, Strops and Bridles:
- Single Point generally means a Swinging Mooring
- Double Point could be e.g. Fore and Aft between piles
|Yacht Length Overall||< 5 metres||5 - 6 metres||6 - 8 metres||8 - 10 metres||10 - 12 metres||12 - 14 metres||14 - 16 metres|
|Aproximate length in feet||< 16 feet||16- 20 feet||20 - 26 feet||26 - 33 feet||33 - 40 feet||40 - 46 feet||46 - 53 feet|
|Displacement in Tonnes||0.6 tonnes||1 tonnes||2.5 tonnes||5 tonnes||9 tonnes||13 tonnes||16 tonnes|
N.B. Use only LIROS Octoplait/Anchorplait for swinging moorings - 3 strand lines may 'cockle' when the 'swing' turns against the lay of the rope.
- Purchase Type - Spliced Set Length
- Rope Fibre - Nylon
- Rope Diameter - 18mm
- Rope Diameter - 20mm
- Rope Diameter - 24mm
- Boat Size (Permanent Strop) - 6-8 metres up to 2.5 tonnes
- Boat Size (Permanent Strop) - 8-10 metres up to 5 tonnes
- Boat Size (Permanent Strop) - 10-12 metres up to 9 tonnes