For Power and Sail Boats 38-46 feet
Gypsy only (low profile) or with drum
Enhanced Hybrid Polymer Gypsy
Combination Rope/Chain Gypsy
8mm or 10mm chain ~ 12/14/16mm rope
Switch, circuit breaker, contactor included
Easy to Service
The Lewmar VX range is the result of a comprehensive overhaul of their vertical windlass production carried out by the Lewmar dedicated engineering team.
New lighter, stronger and performance optimised materials have been explored, evaluated and tested to produce a windlass unit at the cutting edge of design and manufacture.
Lewmar claim that due to new generation technology, the VX windlass range is lighter, stronger and more efficient than any competitor on the market.
The Lewmar VX3 is manufactured with a cast aluminum core, a composite outer and a stainless steel finish.
Lewmar VX3 is suitable for motor and sailing yachts between approximately 38 feet and 46 feet length overall.
Consult the Lewmar Windlass Size Guide for more detailed information on selecting the correct model for your yacht.
VX3 extended windlass kit includes:
- Deck unit
- Solenoid (control box)
- Rocker switch
- Circuit breaker
- Hybrid gypsy
Lewmar VX3 Windlass Features and Plus Factors:
- Manual clutch release
- Stylish stainless-steel finish
- Lightweight alloy/composite construction
- Same footprint as Lewmar V3 model
- IP67 rated optimised motor with robust worm wheel gearbox for improved performance
- Silicone sealant free assembly
- Installation orientation flexibility
- Power 1500 Watt 12 volt motor
- Enhanced Hybrid Polymer Gypsy Design***
- To suit 8mm (5/16") or 10mm (3/8")
- Lewmar factory-fitted compatible chain counter magnet
Lewmar patented Hybrid Composite Gypsy Features and Plus Factors:
- Nickel-plated brass core delivers increased rope grip
- Polymer chain wheel pockets ensure a smooth and quiet operation – no metal-on-metal noise
- After exhaustive testing, the hybrid polymer proved superior to an all-metal gypsy:
|Lewmar||Gypsy Number||Gypsy Type||Chain Calibrations||3 Strand Rope||8 Strand Rope||Splice|
|VX3||68120041||8mm||8mm DIN766, 8mm ISO4565, 5/16” ACCO ISO G43 (G4)||12/14/16mm||14/16mm||1 Link|
|VX3||68120042||10mm DIN766||10mm DIN766, 5/16” Campbell S3, 3/8” Campbell S4, 9.5mm G40||12/14/16mm||14/16mm||1 Link|
|VX3||68120043||10mm ISO||10mm ISO4565, 5/16” Campbell S3, Lewmar 9.5mm G40||12/14/16mm||14/16mm||1 Link|
14mm rope is strength-comparable and splice-compatible to 8mm Grade 40 DIN766 Calibrated Chain
16mm rope is a little under strength compared with 10mm Grade 40 Calibrated Anchor Chain.
16mm and 18mm rope are splice-compatible with 10mm DIN766/ISO Grade 40 Calibrated Anchor Chain
We do splice 16mm diameter anchor rope into 8mm Chain on request but it is a border line tight fit in the link
|Motor||Maximum Pull||Working Load Limit||Maximum Line Speed||Normal Current Draw||Circuit Breaker|
|1500 Watt||1175kg||294kg||40 metres/minute||132 Amps||110 Amps|
Lewmar Recommended Windlass Maintenance
- Wash down the windlass using fresh water.
- Examine all electrical connections for corrosion, clean and lightly grease.
- Check anchor locker drain to avoid water damage to motor/gearbox.
- If anchor locker fills with water, check motor is dry and free of rust.
- Check anchor rode splice for wear.
- Check gypsy as it is a high wear item and will last longer if properly used. When re-assembling the cone and gypsy, add a small smear of grease to the contact surfaces.
- Check mounting studs after first two or three recoveries and regularly thereafter.
- Check electric cables for damage. Repair/renew as required.
- Strip the above deck components, clean and lightly grease.
- Check motor/gearbox for corrosion, clean and repaint with a suitable marine grade oil-based enamel paint.
- Remove electric motor cover and blow dust away from brushes using foot pump or similar taking care not to breathe any dust.
- Chain Size - 8mm
- Chain Size - 10mm
- Boat Size (Windlasses) - up to 35 feet
- Boat Size (Windlasses) - up to 40 feet
- Boat Size (Windlasses) - up to 45 feet
- Windlass Type - Vertical